With the widespread use of smartphones and computing gadgets in addition to the growth and popularity of e-commerce sites such as konga, jumia, jiji etc. We find ourselves most times relying on this Internet services for easy shopping and stress free delivery of goods and household items. Personally I enjoy shopping on konga and jumia as long as I’m able to get a good deal. I don’t just buy things without comparing and enquiring into the seller’s trustworthiness. I have also had cases were I have to return a purchased item and fair enough I got my refunds from the company, so I’ll give them a kudos for that. I haven’t really had a bad experience with shopping online though most persons have a lot of complaints about some e-commerce sites and face a lot of difficulties carrying out transactions online.
It is well known that a lot of individuals and even organization have lost their data and money to unreliable e-commerce websites and cybercriminals who wait patiently behind the lines waiting for the slightest mistake from a user or even the sellers network. So we must be very careful while carrying out transactions online. We know there have been a lot of breaches and cyber-attacks lately, the cyber-criminals are always on the move, getting better at what they do. So we must try to protect ourselves rather than relying on the government and security organizations to do that. By contributing our part to self-protection through taking proper steps and precaution we can help build a safer cyber world.
Tips for Safe Online Transactions
These are some of the tips I’ll advice we take for safe online transactions , as these do not only apply to e-commerce website;
- Make sure you only patronize popular stores that are known to people such as family and friends. Avoid purchasing items on new websites whose names are not known or those that have a strange website address.
- Make sure you find out about the reputation of any online store you which to do business with, especially when you are going for a new retailer.
- Try as much as possible to bring to the minimum those websites where you enter your credit or debit card number.
- As much as you can, in some cases patronize online stores that already have a high street presence.
- You can use online wallet such as paypal or google wallet to ensure a safer transaction.
- Try to have a separate bank account were you deposit little chunks of money dedicated to online transaction. In other words avoid using the debit card tied to your main bank account or salary for online transaction. This way if there is illegal access to your account or an overcharge it doesn’t affect the bulk of money you have. Thanks to mobile money and internet banking you can always transfer a specific amount required for shopping only when you need it.
- Do not give out your pin or even bank cards to anybody. Everybody seems to be aware that their pin can be used to access money using the debit card on an atm machine, but what they fail to realize is that without the pin, people (family, friends or stranger) can use the content of the debit card to steal money through online shopping, all they require is your 16 digit card number and cvv or in few cases your personal details such as address, name etc which is known not only you but your family members and friends. so please be careful who you leave your cards with and where you keep them.